Summer Work Student Exchange Program
The YMCA Summer Work Student Exchange Program is a program which offers youth, 16 and 17 years of age, the quintessential Canadian experience. Participants will have the opportunity to gain paid work experience, practice their 2nd official language skills, discover another community within Canada and develop personally. The program includes the following components:
- Duration: The program runs for six weeks in the summer, beginning in early July and ending mid August.
- Employment: Each participant will be provided with a work placement where they will be assigned an employment mentor.
- Exchange Host: During the program duration, participants stay with a host / host family and, in most cases, whenever possible; a participant stays in their home as well. We do our best to find each student a job close to their home.
- Group Experience and Activities: Participants are grouped together (up to 10 youth per community) and collaborate with their local coordinator to organize an agenda of activities to better know their new community and each other.
- Great Local Staff: Participants are supported by our local coordinators, all post - secondary students, who are trained to help them navigate their way through this great journey.