There are several opportunities for OSS Students to particpate in langage and cultural programs both nationally and internationally.
ISE (International Student Exchanges)
The secondary program offers grades 10 & 11 students the opportunity to participate in: A 12 Week Exchange with a partner from France, Spain, Italy, or Germany! Students spend 9/12 weeks hosting an exchange partner in the fall and visit their exchange partner abroad for the same duration in the winter! Visiting students receive an English language experience while here and Ontario students receive an experience in the language of their host destination while abroad. Students have the option to choose between two different exchange timelines: Go First and Host First. Approx.$3000
Go First Program: The deadline to apply for the 2018 Go First program is October 16, 2017.
Host First Program: The deadline to apply for the 2018-19 Host First Program is April 2, 2018.
Five Week French-Language Bursary Program — Most expenses are covered! Are you looking for a spring or summer program to learn French? Do you want to discover another region of Canada and meet new people? Go Explore! Explore is a five-week intensive language-immersion program. You can take the program in the spring or summer, whichever you prefer. Participants in Explore receive a $2,200 bursary (taxable income) that covers tuition fees for the programs, instructional materials, meals and accommodations, workshops, and other mandatory activities. Discover another region of Canada while learning French. Enjoy five weeks of learning and adventure, friendship and discovery! APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 15, 2018 (earlybird)...March 15, 2018!
Summer Work Student Exchange Program
The YMCA Summer Work Student Exchange Program is a program which offers youth, 16 and 17 years of age, the quintessential Canadian experience. Participants will have the opportunity to gain paid work experience, practice their 2nd official language skills, discover another community within Canada and develop personally. The program includes the following components:
- Duration: The program runs for six weeks in the summer, beginning in early July and ending mid August.
- Employment: Each participant will be provided with a work placement where they will be assigned an employment mentor.
- Exchange Host: During the program duration, participants stay with a host / host family and, in most cases, whenever possible; a participant stays in their home as well. We do our best to find each student a job close to their homestay.
- Group Experience and Activities: Participants are grouped together (up to 10 youth per community) and collaborate with their local coordinator to organize an agenda of activities to better know their new community and each other.
- Great Local Staff: Participants are supported by our local coordinators, all post - secondary students, who are trained to help them navigate their way through this great journey.
The 2018 Summer Work Student Exchange Program will run from June 30 to August 10, 2018
High school is a great time for students to learn new languages. The Languages Department provides a range of options for students.
In addition, students can take additional International Languages courses through The Learning Centres. These credit courses are offered outside of the school day.